[Python-Dev] Valgrinding Python

Neal Norwitz neal@metaslash.com
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 22:19:08 -0400

Tim Peters wrote:

> pymalloc does read uninitialized memory, and routinely, as explained in the
> msg you're replying to.  If that occurs outside code generated for the
> ADDRESS_IN_RANGE macro, though, it may be a real problem (inside code
> generated by that macro, reading uninitialized memory is-- curiously
> enough! --necessary for proper operation).

This is good news.  I changed ADDRESS_IN_RANGE to a function,
then suppressed it.  There were no other uninitialized memory reads.

Valgrind does report a bunch of problems with pthreads, but
these are likely valgrind's fault.  There are some complaints
about memory leaks, but these seem to appear only to occur
when spawning/threading.  The leaks are small and short lived.

Neal