[Python-Dev] PEP 295 - Interpretation of multiline string constants

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 13:51:01 -0400

> > > I wrote a PEP, its number is 295, it is in attachment.
> > > It should be posted somewhere to be discussed so it is here.
> > > Please, look at it and say what you think.
> >
> > This is an incompatible change. Your PEP does not address
> > how to deal with this at all. I will be forced to reject it unless
> > you come up with a transition strategy (in fact, I don't even want
> > to consider your proposal unless you deal with this).
>
> For most strings this change will not change program result (for
> example number of spaces doesn't matter in SQL queries). For others
> I suggested (in section 'Alternatives') flags 'i' and 'o' for string
> constants.

You are proposing a language change.  Because of the grave consequences
of such changes you have to explain why you cannot obtain the desired
results with the existing language.  You have completely failed to
provide a motivation for your PEP so far.  If you want your PEP to
be considered you must provide a motivation first.