[Python-Dev] PEP 296 - The Buffer Problem

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 00:37:00 -0400

[Scott Gilbert]
> I should have been more clear.  I was referring specifically to working
> with pointers:
>
>     datum = *(pointer + offset);
> or:
>     datum = pointer[offset];

Na, my fault -- I fit in the email between other things, and hadn't read the

> Just so there is no confusion, you aren't suggesting that the bytes PEP
> should provide a mechanism to support chunks of memory larger than 4 Gigs
> on 32 bit platforms right?

It depends on how insane you are.  It sure as heck doesn't *sound* like this
is the bytes object's problem to solve, but then if people want their data
sorted they shouldn't let it get out of order to begin with either <wink>.

> I think the bytes object could be a part of the solution to that problem,
> at least I know how I would do that under Win32, but I'd rather not kluge
> up the interface to the bytes object to support it directly.

I agree.