[Python-Dev] Sorting

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 12:05:58 -0400

    SG> Or you could have an optional parameter that defaults to
    SG> whatever the more sane value should be (probably stable), and
    SG> when the user stumbles across this parameter they stumble
    SG> across the docs too.

    SG> I think Tim's codebloat argument is more compelling.

Except that in

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2002-July/026837.html

Tim says:

    "Back on Earth, among Python users the most frequent complaint
     I've heard is that list.sort() isn't stable."

and here

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2002-July/026854.html

Tim seems <wink> to be arguing against stable sort as being the
default due to code bloat.

As Tim's Official Sysadmin, I'm only good at channeling him on one
subject, albeit probably one he'd deem most important to his life:
lunch.  So I'm not sure if he's arguing for or against stable sort
being the default. ;)

-Barry