[Python-Dev] Added platform-specific directories to sys.path

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 14:02:15 +0200

On Monday, July 22, 2002, at 12:03 , Michael Hudson wrote:
> I don't see what's so very difficult about
>
> $ python setup.py install --prefix=$HOME

This is what you use if you have built Python yourself, and installed it
in your home directory.

What I was referring to (as the setup that isn't very well supported
right now) is the situation where the system admin has built and
installed Python in, say, /usr/local, and you want to install a
distutils-based packaged for your own private use.

Setting PYTHONPATH to be $HOME/lib/python-extensions or something
similar is what people customarily do to get access to their private
modules, but there is no standard, and hence also no way for distutils
to find the pathname and provide an easy interface to do this.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -