[Python-Dev] Sorting

Kevin Jacobs jacobs@penguin.theopalgroup.com
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 07:11:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, Tim Peters wrote:
> After reading all those papers, I couldn't resist taking a crack at a new
> algorithm that might be practical, and have something you might call a
> non-recursive adaptive stable natural mergesort / binary insertion sort
> hybrid.

Great work, Tim!  I've got several Python implementations of stable-sorts
that I can now retire.

> If it weren't for the ~sort column, I'd seriously suggest replacing the
> samplesort with this.

If duplicate keys cannot be more efficiently handled, why not add a
list.stable_sort() method?  That way the user gets to decide if they want
the ~sort tax.  If that case is fixed later, then there is little harm in
having list.sort == list.stable_sort.

> 2*N extra bytes isn't as bad as it might sound, given
> that, in the absence of massive object duplication, each list element
> consumes at least 12 bytes (type pointer, refcount and value) + 4 bytes for
> the list pointer.  Add 'em all up and that's a 13% worst-case temp memory
> overhead.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest (and I tend to sort big things).
13% is a reasonable trade-off for stability.

Thanks,
-Kevin

--
Kevin Jacobs
The OPAL Group - Enterprise Systems Architect