[Python-Dev] Single- vs. Multi-pass iterability

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 17:20:35 -0400

> Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > - There really isn't anything "broken" about the current situation;
> >   it's just that "next" is the only method name mapped to a slot in
> >   the type object that doesn't have leading and trailing double
> >   underscores.
>
> Are you saying the _only_ reason to rename it is for consistency with
> the other type slot method names?  That's really weak, IMHO, and not
> worth any kind of backwards incompatibility (which seems unavoidable).
>
>   Neil

Almost.  This means that we're retroactively saying that all objects
with a next method are iterators, thereby slightly stomping on the
user's namespace.  But as long a you don't use such an object as an
iterator, it's harmless.

And if my position wasn't clear already, I agree it's not worth
"fixing". :-)