[Python-Dev] staticforward

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
19 Jul 2002 18:09:40 +0200

"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> writes:

> """
> Albert Chin-A-Young wrote on 2002-05-04:
>  > >
>  > > The AIX xlc ANSI compiler does not allow forward declaration of
>  > > variables. This leads to a lot of problems with .c files that use
>  > > staticforward (e.g. mxDateTime.c, mxProxy.c, etc.). Any chance of
>  > > fixing these?
> """
>
> I'm not making this up.

Yes, but the user might be. I don't believe this statement is
factually correct - the compiler most certainly does allow forward
declaration of variables.

Also, such a statement is of little value unless associated with an
operating system release number (or better a compiler release number).

This conversation snippet indicates that the problem has not been
fully understood (atleast by Albert Chin-A-Young); solving an
incompletely-understood problem is a recipe for desasters, when it
comes to portability.

Regards,
Martin