[Python-Dev] Fw: Behavior of buffer()

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 13:29:08 -0400

> I meant we call  PyBuffer_FromReadWriteObject and the resulting buffer
> lives longer than the extension function call that created it.   I have
> heard that it is possible for the original object to "move" leaving the
> buffer object pointer to it dangling.

Yes, that can happen (depending on what kind if object it is).

> Sure.  I'd be willing to poll comp.lang.python (python-list?) and
> collate the results of any discussion that ensues.  Is that what you had
> in mind?

Yes, but beware that you will have to decide which requirements make
sense and which ones don't -- the community is so large these days
that you can't get agreement any more. :-)

Feel free to come back with results to python-dev any time.