[Python-Dev] PEP 263 - Defining Python Source Code Encodings

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 21:31:53 +0200

guido wrote:

> There's a full implementation for PEP 263.  Martin von Loewis is ready
> to commit it.  It's of course possible to let him do this and deal
> with the consequences once they're in CVS, I'd like to see if there's
> anyone who'd like to review the code before it goes in.  The patch is
> at http://python.org/sf/534304.  I like the PEP fine, I just don't
> have time to review the patch

hmm.  I'm tempted to think that there's a major
flaw in the PEP, caused by the fact that

    compile(unicode(script, extract_encoding(script)))

will, from what I can tell, not compile to the same
thing as:

    compile(script)

but I've had too many holy [gr]ails [1] tonight to
be sure if that's really a flaw at all...

</F>

1) see http://www.blacksheepbrewery.com/