[Python-Dev] Dict constructor

Alex Martelli aleax@aleax.it
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 18:07:26 +0200

On Saturday 13 July 2002 05:04 pm, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > Greg's version's in nondist/sandbox/sets, right?  Where's Aric's?
>
> http://bent-arrow.com/python

Ah, a C implementation.  It seems premature to me to consider such
optimization -- for now, it appears, we're still looking around for the
right architecture, and that's much more plastic and faster to
experiment with in Python.  So, I have not studied set.c in detail,
just browsed the readme to get an idea of the interface -- and that
seems even more peculiar to me than freeze-on-hashing, although
generally similar.  So, for now, I've stuck to Python, and I think it
will be time to move to C once the Python-level part appears good.

> > What should I do with the modified set.py -- submit it as a patch, or ...
> > ?
>
> I forget -- do you have SF commit permission?  If so, feel free to

Nope -- I may be the only PSF member without commit permission, I
suspect.

> add a competing version to the sandbox.  Otherwise, a SF submission
> would be good (and post a link to python-dev when you upload it).

Done -- it's patch 580995 (not sure how that translates to an URL --
the tracker's resulting URL is quite complicated:-).

Alex