[Python-Dev] python package

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 13:54:20 -0400

> With the exception that we have control over the Python core
> code while we don't over third party extensions, so providing
> means to simplify the transition for the standard lib is easier
> than trying to enforce your proposed 'nonstd' package.

I think you could get a long way with minor changes along the lines of
making site-packages a package itself.

> > Then please think about a proper solution rather than proposing
> > something whose only virtue seems to be that you can implement a poor
> > approximation of it in two lines.
>
> Just testing waters here... there's no point in trying to
> find a solution to something which is not regarded as problem
> anyway.

You started by claiming that there's a problem: expansion of the
stdlib could conflict with 3rd party module/package names.

I don't regard it as a problem that's so bad that we need to make big
changes to solve it.

If you still think a solution is desired, you could start by proposing
a new standard package hierarchy.  Then new standard modules could be
placed in that new hierarchy rather than at the top level.

I'm rejecting the proposal of a single top-level package named "python".