[Python-Dev] python package

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 19:30:45 +0200

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I have thought some more about the idea of moving the entire stdlib
> into a package named "python" and I reject the idea.
>
> Think of the impact the change would have on the tutorial.
>
> Think of the amount of needless changes to perfectly working code it
> would entail.
>
> If you want to avoid 3rd party module/package names to be invalidated
> by additions to the standard library, you might just as well introduce
> a "nonstd" package into which all 3rd party extensions must be placed.
> This at least doesn't require people who don't use 3rd party code to
> change their programs.

Uhm, the point I was trying to make was to provide a long
running upgrade path from the current situation (everthing is
top-level) to the single package structure.

It is fairly easy to move from 'import os' to 'from python import os',
but I understand that people will not want to do this until
Python 3.

I was not suggesting to start breaking code by enforcing this
strategy in some way, I just though it would be a good idea
to start providing means to work with the single python package
approach now to make the transition less painful in Python 3.

> Maybe we should create a standard package hierarchy; Eric Raymond once
> started working on such a proposal but I have discouraged him because
> I think it would cause too much upheaval.  But for Python 3 I would
> consider it.

That's what I was targetting :-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg