[Python-Dev] PEP 294: Type Names in the types Module

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 12:15:02 -0400

> from new import function
>
> # ...
>
> if isinstance(obj, function):
>     # ...
>
> It didn't look odd at all.  And I don't care much where I import
> function from.  I wouldn't mind if all the type objects defined in new
> where available in types.  IOW, the names exported by new could also
> be exported by types.

No, the docs for types.py promises that it only exports names ending
in 'Type'.  That's not a promise I want to break lightly.

> This means types would fall into two categories: types with builtin
> names and types available in the types module.  I expect the current
> set of types with builtin names is sufficient.

This is already the case, but the names exported by types.py don't
match the __name__ attribute of those types.  Is that a problem?