[Python-Dev] The C API and wide unicode support

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
10 Jul 2002 22:44:03 +0200

Michael Hudson <mwh@python.net> writes:

> (or something close to that).  But for reasons that escape me,
> PyUnicode_Decode is included in the API renaming in
> Include/unicodeobject.h, so if you want to provide binaries you have
> to provide two, and you can be sure that users will have no idea which
> they need.

That is not true. One option is to provide the sources; if you do so,
you do not need to provide binaries at all (thanks to distutils
(*)). Another option is to provide binaries for the default
installation only, which will be UCS-2. Nobody will notice.

Regards,
Martin

(*) If distutils is unacceptable, it is probably because it requires
users to have a C compiler. In that case, you are probably targeting
Win32. In that case, you can be certain how the binaries have been
built.