[Python-Dev] Re: Patch level versions and new features (Was: Some dull gc stats)

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 13:23:35 -0400

    >> My suggestion would be to prepend a new directory on the
    >> standard search path, let's call it site-upgrade for now.  A
    >> normal "python setup.py install" would still install to
    >> site-packages, but we'd add a "python setup.py upgrade" command
    >> that would install to site-upgrade.

    MAL> +1 (maybe with s/site-upgrade/system-packages)

I like that: system-packages.

    MAL> Not sure whether it's already possible or not, but I'd prefer
    MAL> to keep the install command and have the package provide this
    MAL> information (site-packages vs. system-packages) as part of
    MAL> the setup.py or setup.cfg file.

Ok, yeah.  I think it would be a good idea for the package to somehow
register itself as an upgrade to an existing system package.  I still
want the install command to install to site-packages, but whether the
upgrade happens as an upgrade command or "python setup.py install -U"
or some other mechanism is up for grabs.

-Barry