[Python-Dev] Re: Patch level versions and new features (Was: Some dull gc stats)

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 08 Jul 2002 16:14:26 +0200

Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
> But I also think there is a use case for allowing a standard package
> to be separately upgraded for a particular Python installation.  As
> more and more standard Python libraries are packagized, they will
> probably have life-cycles separate from the Python core themselves
> (this will only be more true once we evolve toward a CPAN-like
> arrangement).  So I think we will eventually need a way to upgrade
> (not override :) a standard library package.

+1

> My suggestion would be to prepend a new directory on the standard
> search path, let's call it site-upgrade for now.  A normal "python
> setup.py install" would still install to site-packages, but we'd add a
> "python setup.py upgrade" command that would install to site-upgrade.

+1 (maybe with s/site-upgrade/system-packages)

Not sure whether it's already possible or not, but I'd prefer
to keep the install command and have the package provide this
information (site-packages vs. system-packages) as part of the
setup.py or setup.cfg file.

Perhaps we could have some kind of category for distutils
packages which marks them as system add-ons vs. site add-ons.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH