[Python-Dev] Re: Alternative implementation of string interning

Ka-Ping Yee ping@zesty.ca
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 03:14:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Oren Tirosh wrote:
> > It appears that what you are proposing is what interned string
> > comparison already does (since == checks for pointer equality first).
>
> But INequality checking may still require strcmp.  Inverse logic again.

I never claimed it wouldn't.  All i'm saying is that string comparison
already does this: compare pointers, then if not equal, compare strings.

> > So, the only observable effect of the change would be to break all
> > code that tests for type(s) == str.
>
> Yes, that's certainly a problem.

But you haven't responded to my point.  Would there be *any* effect
other than breakage?

-- ?!ng