[Python-Dev] Re: Bug tracking (was: Re: Infinie recursion in Pickle)

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 12:02:58 -0400

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002, Gordon McMillan wrote:

> I have to say that my "good enough" has been focussed on funtionality
> more than usability.  I've never noticed any particular[1] difficulty
> in using the SF tracker to enter or post info on a bug, so François
> probably has a different "good enough" :-).
>
> [1] Writing an app as a set of cgi's is a fast way to write a mediocre
> GUI. Writing a *good* GUI in this environment is extremely difficult
> and ugly, because you end up with lots of just-barely-portable-
> by-any-definition-thereof javascript, and Aahz is left out in the
> cold. Oh well, at least no one had a requirement that it be usable
> throught their cell phone...

If it's usable in Lynx, it should be usable on a cell phone.

Anyway, I find it difficult to believe that you're having a lot of
trouble writing a good GUI with plain HTML, at least by the standards of
people here -- a clean, accessible, and functional interface *is* a good
GUI.  If you've got an URL for testing, I'd be glad to give feedback
(and I'll even be willing to fire up Konquerer to cross-check).

I'm curious whether you think that Google Groups Advanced Search is a
good GUI.  What about the Google Groups thread view?

Finally, it takes some effort, but it's not *that* hard to use
JavaScript that degrades gracefully when JavaScript isn't available.
For more info, see http://www.rahul.net/aahz/javascript.html
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

Project Vote Smart: http://www.vote-smart.org/