[Python-Dev] opcode performance measurements

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@alum.mit.edu
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:25:54 -0500

I've made some simple measurements of how long opcodes take to execute
and how long it takes to go around the mainloop, using the Pentim
timestamp counter, which measures processor cycles.

The results aren't particularly surprising, but they provide some
empirical validation of what we've believed all along.  I don't have
time to go into all the gory details here, though I plan to at
Spam 10 developers day next week.

I put together a few Web pages that summarize the data I've collected
on some simple benchmarks:

http://www.zope.org/Members/jeremy/CurrentAndFutureProjects/PerformanceMeasurements

Comments and questions are welcome.  I've got a little time to do more
measurement and analysis before devday.

Jeremy