[Python-Dev] Thread questionlet

Aahz Maruch aahz@rahul.net
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 02:44:39 -0800 (PST)

Tim Peters wrote:

> For purposes of computational parallelism (more my background than
> Guido's -- the idea that you might want to use a thread to avoid
> blocking on I/O was novel to me <wink>), the global interpreter lock
> renders Python useless except for prototyping, so there's not much
> point digging into the hundreds of higher-level parallelism models
> that have been developed.

Well, maybe.  I'm still hoping to prove you at least partly wrong one of
these years.  ;-)

(The long-term plan for my BCD module is to turn it into a C extension
that releases the GIL.  If that's successful, I'll start working on ways
to have Numeric release the GIL.)
--
                      --- Aahz (@pobox.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6       <*>       http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

We must not let the evil of a few trample the freedoms of the many.