[Python-Dev] release22-maint branch strangeness

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:36:16 -0500

I've noticed some strangeness with the release22-maint branch.  I made
a documentation change there this morning, and CVS gave the change a
really weird version number when I checked it in.  Looking further, it
looks like the previous checkin for that file (Doc/tut/tut.tex) has
some strangeness as well.  The branching tags are also pretty
whacked.  This is an excerpt of the "cvs log" for the file:

RCS file: /cvsroot/python/python/dist/src/Doc/tut/tut.tex,v
Working file: tut.tex
head: 1.158
branch:
locks: strict
access list:
symbolic names:
        r212: 1.133.2.5
        r212c1: 1.133.2.5
        release22-mac: 1.156.4.1
        release22-maint: 1.156.4.1.0.2
        release22: 1.156.4.1
        release22-branch: 1.156.0.4
        release22-fork: 1.156

Note the revision number for release22-maint; it looks like it's a
branch created from a branch created from a tag on a branch(!).  All
the while, I've been thinking that branches, once created, are
independent (identified by the third component of the revision number
for any given file).  I still think they're supposed to be.

Using a checkout created with the "-r release22-maint" options, I made
two checkins, and the revision numbers & other metadata seem seriously
strange:

revision 1.156.4.1
date: 2001/12/21 03:48:33;  author: fdrake;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -2
branches:  1.156.4.1.2;
Fix up some examples in the tutorial so we don't contradict our own
advice on docstrings.
This fixes SF bug #495601.
----------------------------
revision 1.156.4.1.2.1
date: 2002/01/29 14:54:18;  author: fdrake;  state: Exp;  lines: +8 -1
Revise cheeseshop example so that the order of the keyword output is
completely determined by the example; dict insertion order and the string
hash algorithm no longer affect the output.
This fixes SF bug #509281.

For revision 1.156.4.1, note the strange branch number (1.156.4.1.2 --
too many components), and for revision 1.156.4.1.2.1 (too many
components again!).  The strange branch number on the first indicates
that a branch was created from that revision (itself part of the
release22-branch branch).

Does anyone remember who created these branches?  Or what commands
were used to create them (using which branch/tag as the source of the
working copy being used?)?  This pretty much has Barry & I stumped at
the moment, and we'd like to get this straightened out.

The suspect branches are release22-maint, release22-mac.

Thanks!

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>