[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 277: Unicode file name support for Windows NT, was PEP-time ? ...

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 14:20:15 +0100

> >    OK, PEP 277 is now available from:
> > http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0277.html
>
> Looks very good to me, except that the listdir approach (unicode in,
> unicode out) should apply uniformly to all platforms; I'll provide an
> add-on patch to your implementation once the PEP is approved.

Yes, I would like this. On Mac OS X I don't have wide API's, but all calls use
and return utf8 filenames. If listdir() could return Unicode I could convert
the utf8 results to Unicode without setting sys.encoding.
--
- Jack Jansen        <Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com>        http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution -- Emma Goldman -