[Python-Dev] PEP-time ? (Unicode strings as filenames)

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 08 Jan 2002 10:56:58 +0100

[Martin and Niel discussing various ways to add Unicode support
to posixmodule]

Guys, this discussion is getting somewhat out of hand. I believe
that no-one on python-dev is seriously following this anymore,
yet OTOH your are working on a rather important part of the Python
file API.

I'd suggest to write up the problem and your conclusions as a
PEP for everyone to understand before actually starting to
checkin anything.

One thing I'd like to note (again) is that the code base is
getting somewhat confusing in this area. I may be better to
rip out the various bits and pieces for each supported platform
and put the implementations into separate files -- much like
what Greg has done for the DLL import machinery. This will reduce
the levels of #ifdefs and make the whole API much more readable
and understandable.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH