Large file system support in 2.1.2 (was Re: [Python-Dev] release for 2.1.2, plus 2.2.1...)

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 08:00:20 +0100

> I think the intent was to use single quotes for OPT='two $CFLAGS'.
> (You could also do OPT="two \$CFLAGS".)  This will pass the string
> "$CFLAGS" in OPT, not the value of the shell variable $CFLAGS.
>
> While your shell script will print out: OPT   = xtwo $CFLAGSx
> This is ok since it will/should get expanded properly in the Makefile.
>
> Or I've totally missed the point too. :-)

The intent really was that the later assigment takes into account the
earlier one, by means of shell expansion. Setting OPT to a value that
depends on CFLAGS would give you a cyclic expansion in the Makefile
- so that clearly was not the intent.

You need to set both because one ends up in the Makefile (OPT) whereas
the other (CFLAGS) is needed to convince configure that HAVE_LARGEFILE
should be turned on.

Regards,
Martin