[Python-Dev] Unicode strings as filenames

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 13:01:46 +1100

> It may be necessary to call different routines depending on whether
> you have a byte or a character string; this is not something a getargs
> converter can do. It also may be that, depending on which system
> routine you call, the system will *return* either wide or narrow
> strings to you. Every time you find another use of file names, Marc
> suggests you put that into fileapi.c.

I'm sure that is not what Marc meant.  I think he simply meant a conversion
function that would return the filename as either byte or Unicode.  Get your
arg from PyArg_ParseTuple, and convert it with this function.

Have I missed it all these years, or should we define a PyArg_ParseTuple
format that takes a "void **" and a function pointer to a type conversion
function?

Mark.