[Python-Dev] release for 2.1.2, plus 2.2.1...

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 14:58:15 -0500

[Martin v. Loewis]
> My guess is that 2.1.2 will compile fine with whatever expat
> installation Tim currently has, if it does, pyexpat will certainly
> work correctly (or: as good as it did in 2.1.1).

It changes the structure of the distribution, though:  2.1 Windows Python
shipped with xmlparse.dll and xmltok.dll, 2.2 with neither of those but with
a single expat.dll instead.  Regardless of whether "it works" for Python, I
don't think a bugfix release is the time to change the *set* of DLLs we
ship.  The MSVC project files on the 2.1 branch also have no idea what to do
with the current expat setup, and last-second changes just multiply if I
fight that too (the 2.1 PCbuild README would also need to be changed; etc).
2.2 is better here, but the old expat setup wasn't "a bug"; people who want
the new setup should upgrade to 2.2, where it was first introduced.