[Python-Dev] release for 2.1.2, plus 2.2.1...

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 12:23:47 -0500

[Guido]
> 2.1 was solidly MSVC 6, so I don't think there were any MSVC 5 issues.

That matches my recollection, but while I'd bet your life on it I wouldn't
bet mine <wink>.

> Would it be a problem if we used the new installer for 2.1.2?  That
> would be much easier on Tim.

The real reason to use the new installer is that the old one is, and
increasingly as 2000 and XP get more popular, itself "a bug".  Getting a
32-bit installer is increasingly necessary, and the old installer can't deal
with the Win2K privilege maze at all (usually spelling "insufficient
privilege" as "corrupt installation detected" before its first dialog box
even appears -- the old Wise 16-bit-installer builder was released when
Win95 was brand new).

> There are still some issues (e.g. expat) but I'm not qualified to rule
> on those.

I'll ask Fred about that one offline.  It's all doable, it's just going to
consume some time.