[Python-Dev] PEP 273 - Import from Zip Archives

Neil Schemenauer nas@python.ca
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:33:28 -0800

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> I think you misunderstood my request: I *don't* want
> to revamp import.c, I would just like some extra hooks
> to be able to only replace those few parts which I'd
> like to extend from time to time, e.g. instead of replacing
> the complete __import__ machinery, it would be nice
> to have a callback hook in the finder and another one
> in the module loader.

I have a some rough code that does this.  I've stuck it on my web
site at:

    http://arctrix.com/nas/python/cimport-20020228.tar.gz

if anyone is interested.  I found that for my application (importing
.ptl modules that need to be compiled with a different compiler),
imputil did not have the right kind of hooks.  ihooks was better but
still kunky and slow.

  Neil