[Python-Dev] PEP 273 - Import from Zip Archives

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 14:06:33 -0500

On 28 Feb 2002 at 12:16, James C. Ahlstrom wrote:

> I think I can add iu.py as the standard Python
> importer to my import.c patches.  That is, if iu.py
> can be imported (using C), then it takes over
> imports.  Note that the C code changes to import.c
> are still required. Also note that iu.py may be in a
> zip file, and so the import.c changes are still
> required.

Thanks, but I don't want iu.py to be used instead
of c import in normal Python installations. I'll use
it that way in Installer, but since that's an
embedding app, it's not hard to bootstrap.

In the context of python-dev, iu is, I think, useful
because it (a) emulates nearly exactly Python's
import rules and (b) it does so in a nicely OO
framework with some interesting facilities. In
other words, as a model of what some future
revamp of c import might be.

-- Gordon
http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/