Japanese codecs (was Re: [Python-Dev] PEP 263 -- Python Source Code Encoding)

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 17:54:16 +0100

"Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:

>     MAL> The PSF will have to agree on the contribution docs first,
>     MAL> though. Since there's no discussion on the PSF docs
>     MAL> discussion list, I suppose everybody is happy with them :-)
>
> I am.  What do we need to do next?

Wait. The deadline is mid-March. After that the docs will have
to go to the lawyer and only then we can use them...

>     MAL> BTW, I was referring to the other codecs in the python-codecs
>     MAL> project on SF. Most of those are encumbered by the GPL and
>     MAL> thus unusable in non-GPL projects.
>
>     MAL> Tamito has switched to a BSD-license after some private
>     MAL> discussions about this, which is goodness :-)
>
> From what I've been told, the Japanese codecs are the most stable.
> I'm really not qualified to judge though.

Me neither, but Tamito has put a lot of work into them and
with his move to C for the codec engine, speed is not an
issue anymore either.

Also, I've asked him about his thoughts about having them
included in the core before. He would be happy with that
move.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH