[Python-Dev] PEP 273 - Import from Zip Archives

Thomas Heller thomas.heller@ion-tof.com
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 14:19:20 +0100

[Jeremy on python-checkins list, PEP 283: Python 2.3 release schedule]
> Planned features for 2.3
>     Here are a few PEPs that I know to be under consideration.
[...]
>  S   273  Import Modules from Zip Archives             Ahlstrom

I haven't participated in the discussion of PEP 273,
IIRC it was mostly about implementation details...

Wouldn't it be the right time now, instead of complicating
the builtin import mechanism further, to simplify the builtin
import code, and use it as the foundation of a Python coded
implementation - imputil, or better Gordon's iu.py, or whatever?

Thomas