Japanese codecs (was Re: [Python-Dev] PEP 263 -- Python Source Code Encoding)

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 10:08:17 +0100

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> barry@zope.com (Barry A. Warsaw) writes:
>
> > Which actually touches on something I wanted to bring up.  Why don't
> > we include the Japanese codecs with Python?  Is it just a size issue?
>
> I think Guido's original concern was about the size (apart from the
> fact that they were not available before).
>
> My concern is also correctness and efficiency. Most current systems
> provide high-performance well-tested codecs, since they need those
> frequently. It is a waste of resources not to make use of these
> codecs. The counter-argument, of course, is that you cannot always
> rely on these codecs being available (apart from the fact that you
> need wrappers around the platform API).

Which wrapper APIs do we currently have which could actually
be made part of the Python core ?

Aside: while it's true that we could use those, the Unicode
implementation has shown that rolling our own has worked out
quite well too.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH