Japanese codecs (was Re: [Python-Dev] PEP 263 -- Python Source Code Encoding)

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 09:45:53 +0100

"Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:

>     MAL> Why not simply make the installation a configure option ?
>
>     MAL> We could easily extend setup.py to grab the tarball from
>     MAL> the web in case it is needed.
>
> That's another option.  Certainly stuff like that is becoming fairly
> common for installers these days.

Hmm, make that ZIP-ball (we have no .tar support in the standard
lib, only ZIP-file support). Also, the setup.py will have to
check whether it has to grab a level 0 compression ZIP file or
a level 9 one.

Nothing which cannot be done, of course... net installers
are quite common these days (see e.g. Mozilla, IE and others),
so people are probably quite used to them already. And
we can always provide a full install download as well.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH