Japanese codecs (was Re: [Python-Dev] PEP 263 -- Python Source Code Encoding)

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 09:14:20 +0100

"Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:

>     >> I bet we'd win some Ruby converts if we did this <wink>.  For
>     >> reference, I'm thinking about including the Japanese and
>     >> Chinese codecs with MM2.1 because it makes little sense to
>     >> claim support for those languages without them.
>
>     MvL> That is certainly the right thing to do. If correctness could
>     MvL> be verified independently, I'd be in favour of including them
>     MvL> with Python - even though they will likely never get the
>     MvL> efficiency that wrappers around the platform's codecs would
>     MvL> have.
>
> I'm obviously not qualified to verify them independently, but I have
> had some initial positive feedback from a few Japanese users of the
> MM2.1 alphas.  My second hand information indicates that he Japanese
> codecs are pretty good, the Chinese are okay, and the Korean ones need
> a lot of work.
>
> Also, it's a bit of a catch 22, in that the more official exposure
> these codecs get, the better they will eventually become, hopefully.
> I'd be +1 on including them in Python 2.3.

You could (and probably should) add Tamito's codecs in Python,
but the others have licensing problems :-/

It shouldn't be hard though for native speakers and programmers
to build upon the work of Tamito and get those codecs done
as well. Alternatively, the PSF or some company interested
in having these codecs available could fund the development.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH