[Python-Dev] proposal: add basic time type to the standard library

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:01:59 -0500

> I think we don't need a one-size-fits-all all-powerful date-time
> formating solution. ;)

It's probably impossible to create one, but I think there's also no
reason to require people to invent the wheel over and over.  I've seen
enough broken code attempting to do date/time formatting that I
strongly prefer the creation of a few standard solutions that will
work for most people, rather than only giving people the low-level
bits to work with.

Another thing to consider is that for most apps, the choice of the
date/time format should be taken out of the hands of the programmer
and placed into the hands of the user, through some kind of preference
setting.  I18n and L10n also strongly suggests to take this route.