[Python-Dev] proposal: add basic time type to the standard library

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:01:12 -0500

Guido van Rossum writes:
 > 10pm EST has a different feel to it than one sent at 4am MET.  It
 > should *sort* on UTC, but it should use the original timezone to
 > display the dates.

Sounds like a user preference, not a universal truth.

Is it important that the timezone is part of the date/time type,
though?  Is it important that it be part of the abstract base
date/time?

Specific implementations should certainly be able to add support for
timezones, and perhaps some hypothetical default date/time type should
include it for convenience, but that doesn't tell me it's fundamental.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation