[Python-Dev] PEP 263 -- Python Source Code Encoding

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 12:19:33 -0600

    >> That looks OK to me.  I the Emacs-style comment in fact compatible
    >> with Emacs?

    Martin> It is. I expect many people want to put "utf-8" as the encoding
    Martin> name, and you need Emacs 21 for that (or Emacs with Mule-UCS, or
    Martin> some such).

    Martin> In GNU Emacs, you see the effect of the coding: directive in the
    Martin> Emacs status line. Just try the attached file, it will indicate
    Martin> "R" for KOI8-R. Not sure about XEmacs.

I use XEmacs 21.4.5 (non-MULE).  I see nothing particularly interesting when
visiting that file.  Apropos doesn't indicate there is a variable named
"coding" either.  I see ":encoding", an undocumented variable.  Everything
else containing "coding" is more complex and seems package-specific (tramp,
vm, ediff, etc).  Perhaps using MULE would make a difference.

Skip