[Python-Dev] PEP 215 redux: toward a simplified consensus?

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 15:14:10 +1300 (NZDT)

I'm not sure I like the idea of using $ as the character
for prefixing interpolated strings. Somehow

  a = $"My name is $name"

looks confusing. I think it has something to do with the
fact that $ is appearing both inside and outside the
quotes, making my visual parser worry that the quotes
are misplaced.

Also, it uses up one of the three precious not-yet-used
characters, and I think we should keep those for some
future time when we really need them. We don't need one
for this -- there are plenty of operators available
that haven't yet been used on strings.

I suggest '^', since it does a nice job of suggesting
"inject stuff into this string". We can have both a
prefix form for compile-time interpolation:

  a = ^ "My name is $name"

and an infix form for run-time interpolation:

  a = "My name is $name" ^ dict