[Python-Dev] PEP 215 redux: toward a simplified consensus?

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 17:27:18 -0600

    Paul> "Martin v. Loewis" wrote:
    >> I could not accept any solution that cannot offer anything but this.
    >> This kind of interpolation is plain broken.

    Paul> How so? I need more info to go on.

I have no direct experience with text translation, but in this internet day
and age, it seems to me that a change to the language shouldn't make
internationalization more difficult than it already is.  (I doubt anyone
will claim that it's truly easy, even with gettext.)  Guido mentioned a
number of other languages that already use $-interpolation, Perl, the
shells, awk and Ruby I think.  Of those, all but Ruby were around before the
explosion of the internet in general and the web and Unicode in particular,
so internationalization wasn't a prime consideration when those languages'
$-interpolation facilities were implemented.

Skip