[Python-Dev] PEP 215 redux: toward a simplified consensus?

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 17:16:48 -0500

Barry A. Warsaw writes:
 > I can't say whether it's a good thing to add this to the language or
 > not.  I tend to think that %(var)s is just fine from a Python
 > programmer's point of view, and in the interest of TOOWTDI, we don't

We're definately seeing a lot of reasonable concern over adding
another formatting operator, and my own interest in the proposal has
nothing to do with having an operator to do this.  I probably
shouldn't have said anything about the topic (I don't recall even
noting a preference, myself, just that I'd read one alternative
differently than Marc-Andre and that another already had a meaning).

 > From a /non-programmer's/ point of view, %(var)s is way too error
 > prone, and $-strings are an attempt at implementing a simple to
 > explain, hard to get wrong, rule for thru-the-web supplied template

How the string was obtained is irrelevant, only that it is not part of
the source code and the author may not be a programmer.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation