[Python-Dev] PEP 215 redux: toward a simplified consensus?

Mon, 25 Feb 2002 16:04:23 -0500

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 03:55:15PM -0500, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
>And we've made it a lot easier for strings that are not part of Python
>source code, and for people who produce that data but never know
>Python.

But for applications where people don't edit Python, this could just
be a library module and doesn't need a new operator in the Python
code.  I agree with Paul; there's no actual gain in clarity from the
new syntax.

> > Plus, operator-based evaluation has some security implications that
> > compile time evaluation does not. In particular, if the left-hand thing
>
>I'm not sure I understand this.

Presumably Paul is thinking of something like:
mlist = load_list('listname')
# Lists have .title, .password, ...
form_value = cgi.form['text'] # User puts $password into text
print text \ vars(mlist)

--amk                                                  (www.amk.ca)
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the
human mind to correlate all its contents.
    -- H.P. Lovecraft, "The Call of Cthulhu"