[Python-Dev] Meta-reflections

Kevin Jacobs jacobs@penguin.theopalgroup.com
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 15:09:07 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, David Ascher wrote:
> > > My take on this thread is that I think it's simply not going to happen
> > > that slots are going to act 100% like attributes except for
> > > performance/memory considerations.  It would be nice, but if that had
> > > been possible, then they'd simply be an internal optimization and would
> > > have no syntactic impact.
> >
> > I'd like to know why else you think that?
>
> Ye old poverty of the imagination argument, coupled with the assumption
> that Guido had time to finish what he'd started I guess =).

This is why I haven't unleashed a patch, even though I pretty much know
exactly how to fix all of the problems we've noticed and make slots work as
I imagine they should.  Some of the things I heard Guido say at IPC10 lead
me to believe that he has something up his sleeve wrt slots (specifically
some plan about storing dicts in __slots__ that do something nifty).

So I'm going to sit on my hands until Guido gets back into town and sets us
all straight.

Thanks,
-Kevin

--
Kevin Jacobs
The OPAL Group - Enterprise Systems Architect