[Python-Dev] SSL support in _socket

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 12:35:40 +0100

On Monday, February 18, 2002, at 06:19 , Tim Peters wrote:
> I don't know.  I really don't have time to try and understand this,
> but I
> can tell you I spent a lot of time staring at the code just trying to
> fix
> the part that didn't work, and it was slow and painful going.  Without
> deep
> understanding, I can only repeat that all this machinery *seems* to be
> overkill in this specific case; and since there is no other case in the
> Python core, a mass of overly general machinery in the Python core
> seems out
> of place.

Well... The MacOS toolbox modules have a similar requirement (but
currently implemented in a different way, see pymactoolboxglue.c if
you're interested in the gory details) and various extension packages
(such as Numeric) also have their own implementation of something
similar.

And there's packages like VTK which currently do hard cross-dll linking
which could benefit from such a scheme.

Maybe someone should try and come up with a list of requirements for
inter-extension-module communication and PEP it?
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -