[Python-Dev] [Python 2.2 BUG] pickle/cPickle does not find __slots__

Michael McLay mclay@nist.gov
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 14:46:10 -0500

On Friday 15 February 2002 02:35 pm, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> Michael McLay writes:
>  > While my approach was patterened after the property() builtin, the
>  > Python Labs crowd didn't like the notation and rejected the
>
> I'll note as well that at least some of us, if not all, don't like the
> property() syntax as well.  My current favorite was one of Guido's
> proposals at Python 10:

I agree with you on this being a better notation. It unclutters the class
definition. Had Guido suggested the alternative slot syntaxes back at the
start of November I would have used one of the alternative syntaxes instead
of creating a new builtin function.  BTW, adding a builtin function is a
pain. The trick of counting the number of parameters to determine behavior
caused strange things to happen during the testing of the addmember function.

> class Foo(object):
>     property myprop:
>         """A computed property on Foo objects."""
>
>         def __get__(self):
>             return ...
>         def __set__(self):
>         def __delete__(self):

Is someone working on an implementation of this?