[Python-Dev] Order that site-packages is added to sys.path

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 15:57:42 -0500

    >> install --home=/some/path gets close enough.

    MAL> No, no, no :-)

    MAL> What I am suggesting is to put the email package *inside* the
    MAL> Mailman package:

    MAL> Mailman/__init__.py
    |         email/__init__.py

What I didn't say was s|/some/path|/path/to/Mailman|

so we're saying (nearly) the same thing.

    MAL> And then use "from Mailman import email" in Mailman source
    MAL> code. That's clean, doesn't interfere with the std lib
    MAL> and it's all your's ;-) (meaning that you have complete
    MAL> control over what email does in the Mailman context).

I could do this (and may) or I may use something like from
Mailman.pythonlib import email, which is my normal place to put
override modules.

It's moderately more appealing to put Mailman.pythonlib on sys.path
and just leave my "import email"'s alone.  I know there are arguments
against doing it that way, but I don't want to have to change dozens
of files.

-Barry