[Python-Dev] patch: speed up name access by up to 80%

Oren Tirosh oren-py-d@hishome.net
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 17:55:38 -0500

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 05:26:01PM -0500, Neal Norwitz wrote:
> Oren Tirosh wrote:
> >
> > Problem: Python name lookup in dictionaries is relatively slow.
>
> > http://www.tothink.com/python/fastnames/fastnames.patch
>
> I tried this patch (*) by running the regression tests:
>
> 	make && time ./python -E -tt Lib/test/regrtest.py
>
> All the expected tests passed and there were no failures, this is good.
> The bad news is that it was slower.  It took 42 user seconds longer
> with the patch than without.

I have tried this and got the same results for the patched and unpatched
versions (+-1 second).  The regression tests spend most of their time on
things like threads, sockets, signals, etc that have a lot of variance
and are not really affected by name lookup speed.

I got strage results comparing to the python2.2 RPM package (some faster,
some slower).  I didn't start to get consistent results until I used two
freshly compiled interpreters.  I wonder with what options this package
was compiled.

	Oren