[Python-Dev] Proposed standard module: Optik

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 14:29:04 -0500

On 11 February 2002, Guido van Rossum said:
> They can post to python-dev (and even subscribe -- it's open these
> days) or someone can summarize.  I don't expect a huge discussion.
> Please make it clear in the announcement that followups in c.l.py will
> be ignored -- they must send at least one email to python-dev to make
> us aware that they're competing.

A good starting point for modules that compete with Optik can be found
in "User Interfaces" section of the Vaults of Parnassus:

  http://www.vex.net/parnassus/apyllo.py/808292924

The contenders are:

  Cmdline
  Getargs
  GetPotPython
  Optik
  pypopt

...wow!  I must confess, it didn't occur to me to check Parnassus before
writing Optik; I just arrogantly assumed that I would get it right.

It would be interesting to hear from the authors *and users* of the
above modules.  If you're curious what Optik's users have said, see the
optik-users list archive:

  http://www.geocrawler.com/redir-sf.php3?list=optik-users

        Greg
--