[Python-Dev] Want to co-design and implement a logging module?

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 11:13:54 -0500

On 11 February 2002, Michael Hudson said:
> But I believe that 1.5.2 compatibility is still relavent for
> distutils

I'm still catching up on distutils-sig traffic from the past year, so I
don't want to overcommit myself here... but I've been thinking that we
(I) should do one last Distutils release that is 1.5.2 compatible, and
then we can decide if future Distutils releases will stick to
2.0-compatibility, or are allowed to require the version of Python that
they go with.

However, please *don't* everyone jump in and start a thread about this
now.  I'll take it up on distutils-sig when I've caught up.

> I had a go at implementing a very KISS approach to distutils logging
> this morning and found what I was doing conflicted horribly with
> distutils' current practice, so I stopped.

Probably because the Distutils current practice is an ill-thought-out
mishmash.  That'll have to be fixed first, I suspect.  Sorry.  ;-(

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - Unix bigot                                  gward@python.net
http://starship.python.net/~gward/