[Python-Dev] Proposed standard module: Optik

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:32:01 -0500

Hi all --

I would like to propose adding my Optik module to the standard library.
Optik is the all-singing, all-dancing, featureful, extensible,
well-documented option-parsing module that I have always wanted.  Now I
have it, and I like it -- so much that I'd like it to just always be
there whenever I fire up Python (2.3 or greater, of course).

Please take a look at http://optik.sourceforge.net/ for the whole story,
including all the documentation and code via CVS.

Note that Optik is currently distributed as a package with three
modules; it's a hair over 1000 lines of text (563 lines of code),
though, so could easily be munged into a single file if that's preferred
for the standard library.

Two good arguments for adding Optik to the standard library:

  * David Goodger wants to use it for the standard doc-processing tools

  * I'd like to use it in the Distutils (and ditch
    distutils.fancy_getopt)

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - Unix bigot                                  gward@python.net